OverviewIn this help topic we will look at the different levels of promotion supported in Promo, and how those levels of promotion are processed when establishing which promotions to apply to a basket.
Each promotion type in Promo has a designated level assigned to it. Each level will dictate what will be affected by the promotion (i.e. all basket lines will be discounted, a subset of one or more lines in the basket, delivery only, etc).
Basket LevelAn example of a Basket Level promotion is the Basket % or Value off% promotion. Basket Level promotions have the following behaviour:
- When applied, Basket Level promotions will apply a discount to all lines in the basket (optionally including any delivery charges)
- May have criteria based on products (i.e. only apply when product X is found in the basket), but will always affect all lines.
Only one Basket Level promotion can be applied to a basket (unless the Permit Layering Promotions outside Best Deal setting is enabled, and the promotion is configured to be Always Applied.
Line LevelExamples of Line Level promotions are: Buy one get one free, Buy one get one reduced, Bundle, Deal Price, Multi-buy and Product % or Value off.
Line Level promotions share the following behaviour:
- When applied, Line Level promotions will affect a subset of lines in the basket. The lines to be discounted will typically by the lines matched against the criteria, though for some promotion types it is possible to discount a subset of the matched lines, all matched lines in the basket, or just the cheapest matched line in the basket.
- Line Level promotions will apply a value or percentage discount, or can update the lines to a new price based on the configuration of the promotion.
- By default line level promotions can be applied multiple times to a basket, where the criteria of the promotion is satisfied multiple times.
Lines in the basket can each only be discounted by one Line Level promotion (unless the Permit Layering Promotions outside Best Deal setting is enabled, and the promotion is configured to be Always Applied.
Delivery LevelAn example of a Delivery Level promotion is the Delivery Reduction promotion. Delivery Level promotions share the following behaviour:
- When applied, Delivery Level promotions will affect the delivery charge supplied with a basket. In Promo delivery charges can be supplied either as an attribute with the basket header (where only one delivery charge is supported), or can be provided as lines in the basket where each line is flagged as being a delivery line.
- Delivery level promotions will apply a value or percentage discount to the delivery charge line(s). Where a promotion is to be applied and a delivery charge has been specified against the basket header (rather than as a line in the basket) Promo will automatically create a new delivery line in the basket and will apply the discount to the line.
Only one Delivery Level promotion can be applied to a basket (unless the Permit Layering Promotions outside Best Deal setting is enabled, and the promotion is configured to be Always Applied.
Other Promotions (or Non-Value Type Promotions)Examples of non-Basket, Delivery or Line Level promotions are: Free Gift, Issue Points, Issue Voucher Code and Workflow Trigger. These promotions share the following behaviour:
- When applied, will optionally affect all lines in the basket or a subset of lines in the basket.
- Can provide points, issue a coupon, add new products to the basket or update attribute values depending on the promotion type selected.
- Are always processed after the other levels, and can be applied over the top of Basket, Delivery and Line Level promotions.
Where multiple promotions of any one type may be applied to a basket, and those promotions are deemed to overlap (i.e. they affect the same line(s)), only one promotion will be applied (unless the promotion is configured with Always Apply enabled.