IntroductionWhen Qixol Promo validates baskets, information on Missed Promotions can optionally be returned with the validation response. Promotions are reported as missed if one or more Product Criteria defined for the promotion has been partially or fully matched against the basket being validated. For example, a Buy one get one free promotion will be reported as missed if an item that qualifies for the promotion is found to be in the basket, but where that item is in the basket with a quantity of one.
When baskets are validated within the Promo Engine, the basket is interrogated to establish if it has a basket attribute called get_missed_promotions with a value of true - and where this is the case the validation response will include any missed promotions for the basket.
Where a promotion has not been triggered against a basket because one or more Basket, Campaign/Coupon or Timeband criteria have not been satisfied - these promotions will not be reported as missed. A promotion will be reported as missed where all Basket, Campaign/Coupon and Timeband criteria have been satisfied, and one or more Product criteria have been partially or fully matched, and/or where the total spend for the basket is less than any spend restriction defined.
When validating baskets from the Promo Administration Portal, missed promotions are always returned. When validating baskets via the Basket Manager Services, it is recommended to only retrieve missed promotions for baskets where required (for example - when going to the Checkout for a website integration). Calculating missed promotions within the engine can potentially increase the processing time for a basket, dependent on the number of active promotions and the number of lines in the basket.
CategoriesWithin the response for a validated basket, Promo returns a list of categorized and sorted missed promotions. Missed promotions will be sorted within each category based on the saving that they offer to the customer, the number of points to be issued, or a custom sort index specified against the promotion (see the table below for more details).
|Category||Included Promotion |
|Sort the reported |
missed promotions by
|Line Level||Buy one get one free |
Buy one get one Reduced
Product % or Value off
Free Product (depending on promotion setup)
|Calculated Discount value||Lines in the basket which have had a line level promotion applied to them will not be available for line level missed promotions. |
NOTE: Free product promotions will be included in the Line Level category where the Can be applied multiple times to a basket? configuration setting is selected.
|Basket Level||Basket % or Value off |
Free Product (depending on promotion setup)
|Calculated Discount value||Where the basket returned has a Basket % or Value off promotion applied to it, only missed promotions in this category which have a greater calculated discount value will be reported. |
NOTE: Free product promotions will be included in the Basket Level category where the Can be applied multiple times to a basket? configuration setting is not selected.
|Delivery Level||Delivery % or Value off||Calculated Discount value||Where the basket returned has a Delivery % or Value off promotion applied to it, only missed promotions in this category which have a greater calculated discount value will be reported.|
|Issue Points||Issue Points||Calculated Points||Where the basket returned has an Issue Points promotion applied to it, only missed promotions in this category which have a greater calculated number of points to issue will be reported - with the exception of promotions which are flagged as Always Apply which will always be reported in the missed promotions list.|
|Issue Voucher||Issue Vouher Code||Custom Sort Index (specified against the promotion)||Where the basket returned has an Issue Voucher Code promotion applied to it, only missed promotions in this category which have a greater custom sort index will be reported - with the exception of promotions which are flagged as Always Apply which will always be reported in the missed promotions list. |
Within each category, the number of promotions to be returned is controlled by the Promo Setting: Missed Promotions - Maximum missed promotions to return per category. To change this setting, please navigate to Configuration / Settings within the Promo Administration Portal.
Missed Promotion DetailsEach missed promotion provides details on the criteria against the promotion that must be fulfilled for the promotion to be triggered. Further to this, details on the action to be performed by the promotion if it were triggered is also provided. Within the basket response, these details are split into two nodes: action and criteria.
The Missed Promotion Criteria details will include the following:
- For each product group defined against the promotion:
- Whether the product group has been fully matched
- If the product group has not been fully matched, the additional quantity or spend required to fully match the group.
- The criteria defined within the group, and where appropriate the lines in the basket that have been matched against the criteria items.
NOTE: the number of criteria items to be returned is restricted by the Promo Setting: Missed Promotions - Maximum number of criteria items to return. To change this setting, please navigate to Configuration / Settings within the Promo Administration Portal.
- Whether the additional quantity or spend must be fulfilled with items already matched against the group.
- Where applicable any additional basket spend required to trigger the promotion.
- The total additional spend for all product groups, and for the basket where applicable
The Missed Promotion Action details will include the following:
- The target for the action (for example: all lines in the basket, those matched against a particular product group, issue points or Voucher codes, etc.)
- What the action will be (for example: cheapest item free, percentage discount, bundle price, etc.)
- The minimum calculated discount value based on the items currently in the basket, and the known prices for items that could be added to satisfy the unmatched criteria.
- Where applicable the percentage or new fixed price to be used.
- Where applicable the name and details of the Voucher to be issued.
- Where applicable the minimum calculated points to be issued based on the contents currently in the basket, and the known prices for items that could be added to satisfy the unmatched criteria.
- For Free Product type promotions - details on the product to be added.